Saturday, December 3, 2011

Field trip: Morristown, New Jersey

morristown-1

morristown-6

morristown-2

morristown-3

morristown-5

morristown-10

morristown-12

morristown-4

morristown-9

morristown-7

morristown-8

morristown-11

Yesterday, somewhere in between school dropoffs and pickups and holiday performances and homework anxiety and wrong turns and the never ending house showings on our quest to find a place to live, I made a field trip to Morristown NJ -- an encampment of 18,000 people about 30 miles west of NYC that is considered the military capital of the American Revolution. George Washington once spent a full winter here; I only had an hour for lunch. However, George did not get to meet sweet Sarah for an awesome Afghan meal and an excellent discussion about art & architecture, nor did he get to wander this adorable little downtown full of history that had not yet happened when he pitched his tent on Morristown Green. I think I got the better deal.

14 comments:

jerseytjej said...

If you are a lover of carnivorous delights, I highly recommend Arthur's Steakhouse in Morristown. Right across from the train station and always a line. Best pickles and green tomatoes this side of the Mason Dixon line!

Lisa G. (Happy Mama) said...

Great pics! I agree about Arthur's. So good!

Xoxo

Christine E-E said...

loving your discoveries! thanks for taking us along to experience your exploration for a new home!

Chel said...

what did you eat? I'm obsessed with olive so your photos made me want to go dig around in the kitchen for some. (And go on a field trip of my little island... I think it's time for that.)

RoByn Thompson said...

Let me know if you'd like to come to Paterson, I'd be glad to show you the Falls & the artist housing.

Bella Sinclair said...

Nice sites! I'm liking that doorway with the iron gate.

You've planted the image of George eating a kebab over a campfire in my brain. Kind of a nice disconnect. :)

Ravelings said...

Nice! I spent two Thanksgivings in Morristown during my college years. It doesn't look like it has changed much in the last 20 years.

Marcie said...

Love your little tour of this town!

S.E.Minegar said...

So lovely to dine with an artsy legend! Looking forward to other NJ adventures, Aimee!

L'Atelier said...

I agree! your pics are wonderful!

Nicky Linzey said...

I love that you create the same atmosphere with your pictures wherever you are!

We Three 3 said...

Great photos Aimee! Glad to see you are out and about! I love the photo of the wedding gown the best! Terrific shots there, lady! I agree with Nicky's comments.

Inner Toddler said...

i'm inspired to do some field trip photography. stay tuned.

newblogger said...

peregrine trips
Amazing! This blog looks exactly like my old one! It’s on a entirely different subject but it has pretty much the same page layout and design.You are really a master of your field thanks.