Tuesday, April 8, 2014

how to put together a pop-open card

Sucked into school projects! That's where I've been the past few weeks. The first was the evil science fair (nuff said), the second was the creation of an 18 foot burlap and felt banner that I thought was going to put me in my grave, and the last was a set of invitations for a fundraiser that (comparatively speaking) was a most light and airy prance through a spring meadow. Instead of designing a flat invitation, I decided to create a trifold piece that popped open & delivered the message like a little gift. It took a bit of fiddling around to figure out where I wanted the folds, but once that was done it went pretty quickly, and so I thought I'd share the process here in case anyone is interested. (Even though I made invitations, you could easily make any kind of card out of these -- birthday, photo, holiday, moving announcements, etc.)

List of ingredients:

*Basic 8.5x11 cardstock in various shades. I used 65# cover, and you can get some great shades at Michaels in packs of 50 for about $4 each. Sometimes $3.33 if you get there on a good day.

*Coordinating A2 envelopes. Paper Source has a good selection, though I get mine directly from French Paper. (If you are a paper hoarder, beware...French Paper is an easy place to go for a quick visit and then check out a few hundred dollars later.)

*Washi tape (of course!) 

*1 inch paper circle punch

*A paper scorer or bone folder

*Paper cutter

*Glue dots or double stick tape


Pick your cardstock color. Each sheet will yield two pop-open cards.


Chop it in half lengthwise with a paper cutter. This will give you two pieces that are each 4.25" wide and 11" long. 


Turn one piece sideways, pick your favorite washi tape & start unrolling. (Side note: for those who have been asking when I'll get my washi back in, we are running another small batch and if all goes well, it will be here within 6-8 weeks!!) I picked my Jolly Town design, as this was a fundraising invitation for two sweet little boys, and it seemed like a good fit :) 

You'll want your washi to wrap all the way around the length of both sides -- 22 inches and some change. If you can manage it, lay it out & wrap the tape so that the ends of the washi meet in the middle or overlap slightly. Be prepared to squint and grunt a bit while you're trying to make the ends meet -- it's important to have the tape straight & aligned all the way around. (The side where the washi ends overlap will be the inside of your card -- you'll layer your message on top of the overlap so no one will see it.)


On the inside of the card (the side on which the washi ends have met/overlapped), score the left side at exactly 2.75", then do the same thing to the other side. It isn't totally necessary to have a paper scorer, but it makes the folding easier and it gives the piece a clean, polished look. This will leave you with an area in the middle that measures 4.25"x5.5" where you'll put your message. When you fold the sides together, they should meet precisely in the middle, unless they don't, which will inevitably happen if you are making a bunch. Laws of statistics prove that you will have at least a few screwups along the way, which I did, and then it is up to you to decide whether the gap or overlap is bad enough to warrant a do-over, or if the recipient really won't notice or care. Your call.


Now, for the center: pick another coordinating cardstock color (or use white) and handwrite or type your message, then affix it with double stick tape. I typed mine in Word and printed two to a page. I wanted a slight border around my inside messages, so I trimmed them down to 3.5"x5".

To seal the pop-open card, make circles from the cardstock with your paper punch, and secure it with a glue dot underneath each side. Alternatively, if you have a Xyron Creative Station (which I use), you can run a piece of cardstock through the permanent adhesive cartridge so it is already stickified when you punch the circles.  For an extra little flair, doodle on the seal with a black pen.

Pair it up with a coordinating envelope and you're done! If you have leftover seals, you can also use those on the backside of the envelope.



I also made coordinating thank you notes that were super fast & easy (lower right). I cut the cardstock into 4.25"x5.5" pieces, shaped the corners with my trusty Lassco corner rounder, and then put one strip of washi on the front -- no wrap around on this one. To get a clean cut, I let the washi strips hang off the sides just slightly and then trimmed along the edge with scissors. 

That's it! If you have any questions on the pop-open (or thank you cards) -- just ask!

xo, Aimee

5 comments:

lcmarschall said...

These are fantastic Aimee! I've missed your tutorials!!

Karen Taylor said...

Really cute project, love the colours too :-)

Artsy Matilda said...

Brilliant, as always! Thanks for sharing!
xoxo
Cheri~

Beth Niquette said...

This is so cool! Thank you, Aimee! You are such a creative person--you are inspiring. ((hugs))

Andria said...

These look great! I have them bookmarked for the future.